Whether you enjoy smoothies for breakfast or a snack, they're a great way to increase your daily intake of fruits and vegetables.
But, depending on what ingredients they're made with, they can quickly turn into unhealthy smoothies filled with saturated fats and sugar which can add up to in calories and sabotage your health goals.
The healthiest way to enjoy a protein smoothie is to make your own so you know how much and what foods you are getting.
A good smoothie should contain a blend of protein and fiber to keep you full and provide antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Its an excellent way to avoid the 3pm crash and overeating later in the day.
Best High Protein Ingredients
- Low fat plain greek yogurt
- Organic silken or soft tofu
- 100% whey protein isolate
- fresh or frozen berries (blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, cherry)
- banana or mango, but are higher in sugar and may want to avoid if on a low glycemic or weight loss plan.
- ground flaxseed
- chia seed
Best Flavor Enhancers
- ground cinnamon
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- organic almond or coconut extract
Power Fruit Smoothie Recipe
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (or other non-dairy beverage)
- 1 scoop 100% whey protein isolate, plain or vanilla
- 1/2 cup PC Power Fruit, frozen
- 1/3 cup chopped kale
- 1 small handful baby spinach
- 1 tbsp. ground flaxseed
Combine all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Enjoy!
Avoid using full fat dairy products, flavored yogurt, ice cream, canned fruit in syrup or chocolate syrup which can be loaded with calories in the form of sugar and saturated fat with little or no fiber or other nutrients.
Nancy Este is a Registered Yoga Teacher and Certified Nutritional Practitioner. She is here to share with you over 17 years of experience in the Alternative Health field. It is her hope to help save you time, money and stress when it comes to regaining your balance in life.